Friday, September 10, 2010

Temple

Today I went to temple
And I heard the ancient prayers.
Since I skipped it yesterday,
Let's see how this compares.

I had to dress up - that's a drag -
And struggle just to follow
Words I couldn't read or those
Translations that rang hollow.

I did enjoy some rituals
Familiar from my youth,
And felt the tug of Jewishness
If I admit the truth.

The Torah with its silver bells,
Connecting to the past;
And naturally, the joy revealed
In every shofar blast.

Yet still, I grew impatient;
My attention kept on shifting.
My mind was in another place,
Unfettered, free and drifting.

I'm glad I went to services,
My family by my side;
But once a year's enough, I think,
To keep me satisfied.

I'll honor my traditions
In the ways that I hold dear,
With family, friends and special foods
And temple once a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment