Sunday, September 19, 2010

Scrabble

At a pleasant Sunday picnic
On a Central Park expanse,
Someone said, “Let’s play some Scrabble”
And I jumped up at the chance.

It’s been years since my last challenge
But I thought I’d take a shot.
My opponent, in a teasing way, said,
“Let’s see what you’ve got.”

We chose our seven tiles and
Imagine my surprise,
When I looked at seven consonants
Right before my eyes.

I had to pass, though I was first,
And missed that double score;
But soon I came up with some words
I’ve never used before.

‘Cause hiding in our brains, there is
Some knowledge we once learned,
And on occasions we get paid
The dividends we’ve earned.

A word or fact will just appear
We didn’t know we knew;
And as to how and when we heard it,
We don’t have a clue.

On one turn I scored sixty-two!
I was as pleased as punch.
Yet still I didn’t think I’d win –
My numbers wouldn’t crunch.

My challenger was slick and smart.
He maximized each point;
But I was not too far behind
And felt not out of joint.

We played for hours – still I felt
It ended much too soon.
I lost, but have to say
I had a lovely afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. It was a lovely afternoon, even though I played Boggle instead of Scrabble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Suzanne. It's always a treat to get together with fun people on a sunny New York day, no matter what games are played!

    ReplyDelete