Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Assembling

Have you ever tried assembling
A bookcase or buffet?
Perhaps you were resembling
The way I looked today.

It wasn’t such a pretty sight:
Teeth gritted, dripping sweat;
‘Cause not a thing was going right,
And it’s not finished yet.

The pieces came packed in a crate,
With screws and bolts and nails.
Instructions seemed to be first-rate;
I guess nobody fails.

There’s always an exception, though,
To every single rule,
And struggling, so unlike a pro,
I felt like such a fool.

But gradually, it took some shape;
Each stud fit in each hole.
If you walked in, you’d be agape
To see such self-control.

It isn’t quite together yet –
We took a little break;
But by tomorrow, you can bet
We’ll finish, no mistake.

It really wasn’t all that tough.
Why, anyone can do it!
Just take a breath when things get rough,
And if you mess up – glue it!

4 comments:

  1. ha ha! glue it! it's been years since B and I put anything together... I remember a bookcase once and a kitchen island - with instructions in some foreign language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You often write very interesting articles. You improved my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for reading! i so appreciate it! by the way - the buffet we put together actually came out great and is already filled up with stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blog regarding asssembly really hit home. Years ago I promised my self "no more assembly required".I didn't keep my promise though. A few weeks ago a neighbor was having a tag sale and had a beautiful pine computer desk with hutch for sale. He delivered it fully assembled, I couldn't believe it, it was like a miracle. Joanne and a friend brought our old pressboard one down to the end of the driveway. It fell apart before it got there. Lo and behold when we woke up the next morning it was gone. Our junk was someone else's treasure!
    Hello to Mel.

    ReplyDelete