Monday, September 20, 2010

Driving on the BQE*

If you have ever driven
On the awful BQE,
You’ll know when I describe its woes,
You will not disagree.

There’s always some construction,
Therefore shutting down the lanes;
And they don’t care if traffic jams
Or how much one complains.

The road is filled with bumps and holes
And trucks of every size,
So when an accident occurs,
It causes no surprise.

I used to drive the BQE
Each day en route to work,
And now it’s out of my routine,
A real retirement perk!

Yet sometimes I cannot avoid
Returning to this road,
And when I’m there, I’m back at once
To sensory overload.

The noise, the ruts, the orange cones,
The narrow lanes that merge,
The massive semis rumbling by
All put me on the verge.

I made it through today
With just a modicum of grief,
But knowing I can stay away
Is such a huge relief!

* Brooklyn-Queens Expressway

1 comment: