Thursday, September 9, 2010

Prayers

I took my prayers to the park today
And skipped the morning service.
Since I do not quite believe,
This doesn’t make me nervous.

When growing up, this holiday
Was always spent in shul,
Showing off your brand-new clothes
Too good to wear to school.

The readings droned on endlessly;
We sat and stood and sat.
I never questioned being there;
I went and that was that.

But now it’s my decision
And today I made my choice.
I’m sure the prayers were chanted
But without my added voice.

I took my ruminations with me
While I did my walk;
Pondering what I would hear
In my old rabbi’s talk.

I felt a part of nature;
I observed ‘neath sky and tree.
I know that all religious folk
Would cluck and disagree.

But we all do what we must do
To balance joy and sorrow.
Today I prayed in Central Park –
I’ll go to shul tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment