Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Slow Fast

Despite the name, a fast is slow.
It’s oxymoronish, you know.
You watch the minutes ticking by;
Your hunger you cannot deny.

Your brain begins to formulate
Thoughts of food piled on your plate;
Conjured pictures from your past
Of edibles to break the fast:

Pickled herring, salty lox,
Noodle pudding that just rocks!
Seeded bagels, sliced-up cheese,
Whitefish plattered just to please.

Cole slaw, salads, eggs, tabouli,
And desserts to make you drooly.
Naturally, there’s beer or wine,
Scotch or vodka – all are fine.

Candies, nuts, and more dessert;
Loose the buttons on your skirt.
Fruit and coffee, strong and hot –
Lots of choices we have got.

Images like these appear
To taunt me, but I’ll persevere.
I’ve come this far – I’ll last, I’m sure.
I’ve only got three hours more!

No comments:

Post a Comment