Sunday, July 25, 2010

Word of the Day

The word of the day pops up there on my screen;
It’s long been a part of my daily routine.
Most words I recognize, some I do not;
Others are words I once knew, but forgot.
I don’t really care ‘bout the word’s etymology;
Nor do I think Webster needs an apology.
All I’m concerned with is its definition
And if it’s pronounced as per my intuition.
But sometimes a word appears I’ve never heard
And the way it sounds strikes me as rather absurd,
Like today, when the current word is poetaster;
Each time that I say it could be a disaster.
It looks like the accent is really misplaced
And the ending should rhyme with the vowel in “taste;”
But the word of the day person, the so-called master,
Is saying it should be said, thus: POH-uh-tass-ter.
I doubt many folks who see this word would know it;
Its meaning? Ah hah! “An inferior poet!”
I hope that’s not me; if so, what a cheap shot
To be nailed by a word most would see and say, “What?”

Alternate Ending:
I hope that’s not me; if so, that’s just my luck
To be nailed by a word most would say, “What the ….?”

No comments:

Post a Comment