Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Cop and his Horse

A trailer for the mounted police
Was parked by the museum.
I knew that it would make my day
If I could only see ‘em.

The back door opened and I saw
A cop real busy sweeping;
With broom in hand, he seemed to be
Adept at his housekeeping.

When next I looked, the horse was out;
An officer was grooming.
The horse enjoyed it, or at least
That’s what I am assuming.

At last the policeman hopped aboard
And onward they did trot.
It made me think of Wyatt Earp
And cowboys we forgot.

I love an unexpected glimpse
Of life from long ago.
It shakes things up and wakes us
From the current status quo.

I tried to picture living then
When everyone, of course,
Would travel from Point A to B
Upon a trotting horse.

I think it would have been real nice,
Though cumbersome and slow;
The past appears appealing,
But reality says, “Whoa!”

Still, I was glad I had the chance
To see the mounted police
Take off downtown to do their part
To guarantee the peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment