Thursday, July 8, 2010

Getting Rid Of

What’s the point of holding onto
Things from long ago?
Wish I had the answer, but
The truth is, I don’t know.

If you are a pack rat,
And I’m sure some folks relate,
You always plan to throw things out –
But at a later date.

Would I be much more fulfilled
If my mom hadn’t ditched
The detritus with which my childhood
Long ago was stitched?

If I still had each doll and book
And random souvenir,
Would the roots of all my angst
Be sparkling crystal clear?

Of course the answer isn’t “yes,”
So why do I insist
On keeping all my grown kids’ stuff,
That never would be missed?

Every notebook, game and toy
Is lovingly preserved;
Despite suggestions to unload,
My mind’s remained unswerved.

Yet with new carpeting to come,
I’d like to make things fresh.
Can I retain things in my head
But ditch them in the flesh?

I’ve heard that if I take the plunge
It will be liberating;
So in the coming weeks
I will spend time deliberating.

If I decide to give things up,
I know I’ll be upset;
And by the way, I wish I had
My favorite doll, Ginette…

No comments:

Post a Comment