Saturday, July 17, 2010

Three Bucks

On my morning walk today
I had a nice surprise;
Three bucks stood all in a row,
Right there before my eyes.

If I mentioned these three bucks
While I walked in Central Park,
You would most likely misconstrue
What I'd meant by that remark.

But since I'm in the country
I think it should be quite clear
That the bucks I do refer to
Are majestic antlered deer.

They were munching on some leaves,
But they paused to check me out,
Then returned to graze some more;
I'd bored them, there's no doubt.

The country place where I reside
Now will shoot to thin the herd,
Which, although it saves the plants,
Is a rule I find absurd.

So to spot a deer at all,
Since their population's dwindled,
Is a rare and special treat
'Cause I usually feel swindled.

In the past I'd notice lots,
But now often I see none;
Many deer looked not at me,
But instead right at a gun.

Yet today I had a treat
'Cause, despite a rule that sucks,
I saw three who got away,
Worth much more than just three bucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment