Thursday, July 15, 2010

Handicapped Parking

A cop was giving tickets
On an avenue near me.
It was early in the day;
She was on a ticket spree.

But I noticed that some cars
Were exempt from a citation.
I was curious until
I unearthed an explanation.

For each car had a placard
In the windshield which declared
That the driver of the car
Was in some manner impaired.

So I questioned the cop,
“Would a handicapped card
Let you park where you want
And the rules disregard?”

“That’s the law,” she replied;
And I think it’s not fair,
For a handicap shouldn’t
Let you park anywhere.

In a mall or a lot,
When you’ll be a few hours,
Then a person should park
Where his placard empowers.

But on streets in the city,
He should not have the right
To ignore all the rules
And park free, day and night.

Do I feel for the handicapped?
Surely, I do;
And I hope my complaining
You won’t misconstrue.

But by giving carte blanche,
Things are rife for abuse;
I saw ten cars miss tickets,
All with one excuse.

I am grateful I don’t need
A handicapped sign;
But I question the way the law
Crosses the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment