Friday, December 10, 2010

Thirty Years

Thirty years ago today
My father sadly passed away.
Though he was only fifty-five,
His heart could not keep him alive.

When those awful words were spoken,
I felt like my heart was broken.
We had talked the night before,
Not knowing he was at death’s door.

He’d joked because they’d shaved his chest;
Laughing was what he did best.
He then admitted he was scared;
I reassured him, unprepared.

He lived for two more days without
Awaking, then his heart gave out.
The funeral is all a blur,
But I know that what did occur

Was, as the limousine drove ‘round,
My dad was nowhere to be found.
I looked for him, and realized then,
He’d never be with us again.

The years have passed – the ache is less;
So many feelings to express.
My father’s name is still a’ bloom;
His grandson waited in my womb.

My son grew up, though never knowing
All that love he missed while growing.
I don’t need candles to remind –
We feel the love he left behind.

2 comments:

  1. thanks, sharon! glad to see your comment - i always enjoy reading what you have to say. i wish my dad were still around - he would have made a fool of himself at geoffrey's wedding and it would have been great!

    ReplyDelete