Friday, December 24, 2010

Confessions on Request

I was walking past a church
And there, in writing, was expressed
The times for mass and, too, a note:
Confessions on request.

I’m not a Christian, so
It’s quite mysterious to me.
If you admit your sins, you’re clear
For all eternity?

I know there is some penance –
Certain prayers you must recite;
But does that wash away your guilt
Like magic, overnight?

It seems a better deal than what
My people do endure.
When we’ve done something wrong,
Our inner blame grows more and more.

How lovely it would be to just
Acknowledge what you’ve done,
Confess it all, be cleansed and then
Be guilt-free at square one.

I’m not about to change religions
But I am impressed
To think you can unburden all your sins
At your request.

I wonder if it’s easy
To commit an indiscretion
Knowing you can slough it off
With just a quick confession.

For me, it wouldn’t work –
It isn’t how my mind is built.
I’d probably confess and still
Be wracked as well by guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment