Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Stranger's Joy

On a crowded subway train
Just past Grand Central Station,
A smiling woman gave a shout
With obvious elation.

“Today’s my birthday, everyone!
I’ve just turned twenty-three!”
And she went from anonymous
To subway V.I.P.

Lots of “Happy Birthdays” followed;
Also many grins.
The world would be a better place
If, each day, as it spins,

We all could follow this girl’s lead
And, disregarding dangers,
Announce some new accomplishment
To groups of total strangers.

Imagine sharing someone’s news –
It might just be contagious.
Happiness expressed out loud –
So novel and outrageous!

I guess eventually we might
Feel jealous, cross or jaded;
And many people do not want
Their private space invaded.

But still, I did admire so
That birthday person’s nerve,
And hope her day was filled
With all the joy she does deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment