Thursday, December 23, 2010

Kneedy

Assuming that you like to walk or run or dance with ease,
You’ll find it hard to do so if you’re stymied by your knees.
I often walk for miles each day, in sunshine or in rain;
But suddenly one knee of mine is giving me some pain.

At first I just ignored it and believed I’d walk right through it,
‘Cause based on my experience, I knew that I could do it.
Since I’m a little older now, though, maybe I should rest it.
I might be doing damage and I have no need to test it.

So yesterday, when I got home, I packed the knee in ice.
Today it felt okay so I ignored my own advice.
I walked a lot of miles, in boots, to meet up with some friends,
Rejecting public transport as a means to reach my ends.

And now the pain’s returned, which is the price I have to pay.
Tomorrow I’ll go easy on it – keep the ache at bay.
I’m riding on the bus now and reflecting on this page
About the ways our bodies disappoint us as we age.

I hope my pain will vanish soon, like smoke upon a breeze;
‘Cause I am quite dependent on my former pain-free knees!

No comments:

Post a Comment