Monday, December 27, 2010

Snowman on 78th

After the storm, the plows were slow;
So many streets were closed.
I saw some cars abandoned –
Foolish drivers, I supposed.

A double bus was stranded
Right on 86th and First.
The cabs were few and far between;
The shovelers immersed.

The sun was brightening the day.
I loved just being out;
Though drifts and slushy corners
Made it hard to get about.

The most delightful sighting, though –
It made the day complete –
Was a little snowman sitting
In the middle of the street.

His tiny twig arms stuck straight out.
He had no hat or face;
But seeing him, you felt
That he belonged right in that place.

I’m sure the plows will squish him soon.
His parts will be dispersed;
But catch him if you can
On 78th Street, east of First.

It’s little things in life, you know,
That make it all worthwhile.
That unexpected snowman in the street
Sure made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment