Friday, April 15, 2011

Auto Envy

Helen Druce’s parents
Had a Chevy, pink and black.
That car had the pizzazz
Our Plymouth certainly did lack.

It must have been a special order
(Ours was boring gray)
And it stood out back then
Just like it would have done today.

No matter what the year –
If it’s the 50’s or right now,
A car that’s painted pink and black’s
Entitled to a Wow!

Even with a daughter’s wiles,
I couldn’t coax my dad
To buy a car more glamorous –
He liked the car he had.

So, enviously I would watch
As Helen drove away,
Ensconced in coolness
In her ’57 Chevrolet.

The years have come and gone
And childhood fantasies forgiven,
Yet never once have I come close,
In all the cars I’ve driven,

To that captivating classic
That the 50’s did produce –
A Chevy, pink and black
Owned not by me, but Helen Druce!

No comments:

Post a Comment