Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Another Chapter

My dear friend’s daughter just announced
The news that she’s expecting.
“Another chapter will begin,”
My friend proclaimed, reflecting.

We’d met when both our children were
Just several months of age;
And with some other brand-new moms,
We’ve welcomed each new stage.

Our babies learned to sit and crawl,
Then toddle, talk and run.
We never thought our trip
To being grandmas had begun.

The children started school and camp;
Some siblings did appear.
As time marched on we shared the joys
And sorrows of each year.

We danced at the bar mitzvahs,
Followed college applications;
Delighted in accomplishments
And cheered at graduations.

A few got married and we glowed
At each once-baby’s wedding.
We shouldn’t be astonished, then,
At where this all was heading.

Yet still, it caught us by surprise –
A grandma soon-to-be!
If it could happen to my friend,
It might one day be me.

One chapter ends but we read on –
The future’s hard to gauge;
But I will follow as my friend
Turns to another page.

No comments:

Post a Comment