Monday, May 31, 2010

Faces of the Fallen

Each day in The New York Times,
I read a certain list.
It names the names of soldiers
Who’ve been more than just dismissed.

They’re servicemen and women
Who have sacrificed their lives.
I think of them each day
As well as each one who survives.

And once a year or so
The Times will match their names to faces.
The pictures make them real enough
To dream of their embraces.

Some stare at the camera
Looking sober, stern and strong.
Did they have an inkling
They would not survive too long?

Others grin and boy, those hurt;
They’re filled with life and verve.
Sadly, none of them received
The ending they deserve.

I grieve for all their relatives.
I’m sure nobody’s plan
Was finding out their loved one
Perished in Afghanistan.

I gaze at all their faces
While reflecting on war’s dangers,
And wonder if these soldiers knew
That they’d be mourned by strangers.

For each of us, so safe at home,
Should pause and take a breath,
And honor all our soldiers
Who have traded life for death.

It’s too late for these servicemen.
I wish that I could show them
That they are missed by friends and kin
And some who didn’t know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment