Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Souvenirs

Am I the sole New Yorker
Who, when visiting Times Square,
Stops to kill time in a souvenir shop
And wants to buy things that are there?

I love the salt and pepper set
That resembles taxi cabs;
And a pair of socks with a city scene
Has me making wallet grabs.

Place mats decorated with
Each colored subway line
Make me want to buy a few –
I love that cool design!

Picture frames and coffee cups
With famous New York sites
Must appeal to those of us
With New York appetites.

“I Love N.Y.” imprinted on
A t-shirt, all a-glitter,
Isn’t really something
A New Yorker should consider.

Thus, I have to stop myself
From giving in and splurging;
My tourist instincts have to be
Prevented from emerging.

For I’m a real New Yorker,
Native born and native-bred;
I’ll wait until I travel
And buy foreign junk instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment