Sunday, May 2, 2010

Kentucky Derby

Why should I care ‘bout an annual race
In the faraway state of Kentucky?
Even if I were to wager a bet
(Which I’m not), I’m not usually lucky.

I’m not into gambling – horses or slots,
So money’s not part of the deal;
The horses are really magnificent beasts –
That surely adds to the appeal.

It’s fun to decide on a jockey and horse
(I choose by the looks and the name),
So I can have someone to root for, and then
If they win, I’ll join in the acclaim.

So much hype factors into these special events:
The Super Bowl, Masters, World Series,
That it doesn’t much matter if you are a fan;
You can cheer and not answer folks’ queries.

So when Derby time comes, every year I’m transfixed
As the bugle sounds and it begins;
And I couldn’t care less if my pick comes in last
Or comes charging and actually wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment