Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Found Out

Where’s the gift I got for you?
How’s it working out?
Via email or the phone
I’d lie, without a doubt.

“Of course, I really like it.
I use it all the time.”
Long ago I learned that
Small white lies are not a crime.

The thought’s what really matters,
So every gift received
Is special but not always
In the way it was perceived.

I know I’ve given several gifts
Recipients have hated;
That doesn’t mean their feelings for me
Have become negated.

I’ve tried to find that perfect thing
But don’t always succeed,
Especially when choosing something
They don’t really need.

So when my brother asked to see
The wine-pouring device
He’d sent to me, I brought it out –
A lie would not suffice.

I never even used it,
I hated to confess.
I knew that his annoyance
He was trying to repress.

But hey – these things do happen.
We sometimes miss the mark.
Guessing someone’s taste is like
A shot made in the dark.

We’ll rectify the problem
And soon all will be fine.
Let’s crack that sucker open
And we’ll pour a little wine!

2 comments:

  1. it really matters not to me
    if your wine pours through with bubbles -
    better to let the gizmo be,
    and let vino wash away your troubles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll drink to that with your device
    and yes, it makes the wine taste nice!
    thanks to you belatedly...
    i'll have a glass, or two, or three!

    ReplyDelete