Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Revelation

A friend who read a poem of mine
Said, much to my confusion,
“You really are an optimist –
I’ve come to that conclusion.

You paint a rosy picture
Of the “joys” we face when aging,
And overlook the negatives
With which we’ll be engaging.

I don’t agree,” was what she said,
“‘Cause getting older stinks;
And often someone hides the truth
Of what she really thinks…

Unless you really do believe
And gee, I think you do,
The challenges that life throws down
We’re able to get through.”

I was surprised to be perceived
The way she did insist;
I’ve always seen myself
As quite a rabid pessimist.

But maybe there’s some truth in that
My only way to cope
With all the struggles we endure
Is not to give up hope.

If someone quoted that to me,
I’d once have thought it “bull.”
I never was the type to see
That empty glass “half-full.”

But something’s changed and here I am,
Faced with a real surprise,
To find out I’m an optimist
In pessimist disguise.

Amazing, isn’t it, to finally
Get to see the light;
The truth revealed most magically
In words that I did write.

1 comment: