Sunday, March 14, 2010

Changing the Clocks

I woke up this morning and jumped out of bed,
Like it was the sinking Titanic;
Forgetting the clocks had the time moved ahead,
I suffered a moment of panic.

It’s only an hour, so what’s the big deal?
I wouldn’t be late for a meeting.
But still, sixty minutes less time could reveal
How our seasons on earth are so fleeting.

I know that in autumn that hour we’ll reclaim,
But for now, it remains disconcerting;
I’m filled with uneasiness I cannot name –
To feel normal, I’m overexerting.

This day feels too short, like the hourglass cracked
And the sand’s shifting out much too quickly;
To the time that remains I will have to subtract
My anxiety, prodding and prickly.

I’m certain that others must feel as I do:
Off balance, a bit out of kilter.
I think we’ll feel better with springtime’s debut,
As our rhythms shrug off winter’s filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment