Friday, March 19, 2010

Keys in Trees

Walking by the river,
Soaking up the breeze,
I saw before me, on a branch
A dangling set of keys.

They weren’t very obvious;
In fact, they seemed quite hidden.
Perhaps a lover hung them
For a rendezvous forbidden.

I pictured that scenario,
A secret midday tryst,
And realized if those keys were moved
One lover would be pissed.

But when I thought about it more,
That whole idea I tossed.
More than likely someone found
Some keys that had been lost.

Probably a jogger
Had dropped them on the run,
Never thinking that would spur
The fantasy I’d spun.

The person who discovered them
And hung them on that tree
Hoped they’d be united with
Their owner, happily.

I also hope that happens,
But marvel at the mind
That takes an innocent event
And sees what it can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment