Sunday, January 3, 2010

Whoop!

A week ago, while on my walk,
I heard a startling sound;
I couldn’t really place it
So I turned and looked around.

I saw a couple ‘cross the street;
He wore a Yankee cap,
And she strolled silently in stride
With his effusive rap.

For all the noise did emanate
From them, a two-man troupe;
Though only he expressed himself,
With a resounding "Whoop!"

The rest of his performance
I could not quite understand,
Though he referred to “Marvin”
In some personal shorthand.

He sang as loud as he could get,
And it was nine a.m.
I’m sure that many East Side folk
Were woken up by them.

I was a bit unnerved at first;
His “Whoop!” intimidated.
I couldn’t tell if he was thrilled
Or merely agitated.

And his companion, quietly,
Accompanied his jaunt;
Her unobtrusiveness did complement
His needy flaunt.

I saw them both again today,
And he was still a-whoopin’;
Even though folks gaped and stared,
His spirits weren’t droopin’.

I still don’t know if he’s just odd
Or flat-out crazy nuts;
But there’s a possibility
That will engender “Whats?!”

Perhaps he’s wildly happy,
Delightfully delirious;
If that’s the case, hats off to him –
And yes, I’m really serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment