Sunday, January 31, 2010

Early Morning

I’m an early riser;
I’m often up by six.
Sleeping late is not included
In my bag of tricks.

I love to wake in darkness,
Or as the dawn just breaks.
The day is full of promise;
It’s too early for mistakes.

The city’s mostly sleeping
And if I venture out,
The streets are empty, though
Some folks with dogs might be about.

Shops still have their gates locked;
Traffic’s not begun.
All the world is slumbering
Or waiting for the sun.

It’s magic to be out there
For, as far as I can see,
The traffic lights are winking
With a message just for me.

But soon the sky will brighten,
The sidewalks all a-bustle;
New Yorkers bumping through the crowds:
The workday morning hustle.

My private contemplation
Will end, but not in sorrow;
The earth will spin around and
It will all be mine, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment