Sunday, January 24, 2010

Watching Tennis

I just watched a five-set match
With two amazing pros.
I rooted for my fave and he
Squeaked by, by just a nose.

Their tennis game was in a league
So far removed from mine,
If I were Welch’s grape juice,
They’d be fifty year old wine.

Their pure athletic excellence,
Their focus and their fitness
Garnered gasps and wild applause
From all on hand to witness.

The spectators waved flags to show
Which player they supported;
And on TV, the commentators
Censured and reported.

Each move had power, skill and grace,
Both faces so intense;
The lead kept alternating, which
Created such suspense.

A challenge here, a head-shake there,
A glare at the opponent;
Watching just one game could change
Spectator to proponent.

I sat there glued to the TV;
The anguish was exquisite.
I would not budge, not even if
Obama came to visit.

Tennis is a sport I love;
Watch each game I can catch.
The pleasure doesn’t stop until
The ump says, “Game - set - match!”

No comments:

Post a Comment