Monday, January 4, 2010

Company

It’s not very often that I entertain,
But whenever I’m given the chance,
I want things to be perfect, so let me explain
How I get things prepared in advance.

“Advance” is a relative term, by the way;
I’m a last-minute gal through and through,
But it helps if you food-shop before the big day –
You’ll be much better off if you do.

Figure out what to serve, have a drink in your hand,
And relax while you cook and you bake;
Keep spicing things up – no one likes food that’s bland,
And so what if you make a mistake?

Put each dish in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap,
And have serving bowls ready and waiting;
If you think you’re all set, give yourself a good slap –
'Cause it’s cleaning time – no hesitating.

So you dust, do the floors, clean the sinks and the tub,
Spray the mirrors and vacuum the rugs;
But the clutter, oh gosh, aye - that’s really the rub –
And requests for advice get you shrugs.

So you bag up the mail and the magazine piles
And they’re stuffed in the closet on cue;
You’ll be ready to greet your guests with sunny smiles,
‘Cause your messes are hidden from view.

Then you shower and dress, sipping wine to unwind,
Turn the radio to a cool station;
And when your friends arrive, feign surprise when they find
That the hostess deserves an ovation.

Please take my advice and start planning a date
To invite a few friends – you’ll be fine.
Just remember to plan, and I can’t overstate,
It’s much easier prepping with wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment