Thursday, January 14, 2010

Proximity

From my apartment on the far east side,
I can walk to the place where my father died.
It’s one of many hospitals within that range;
My familiarity with them wish I could change.
Just streets from where I live’s the place I twice gave birth;
At least those visits gave me my best days on earth.
But more than not, these hospitals have left me grim;
You walk in knowing that it’s either sink or swim.
My daughter’s therapy, PT, was not real far;
You could go by foot or bus – we didn’t need a car.
My mother’s symptoms led her here for her prognosis;
Cancer was the doctor’s final diagnosis.
My friend had surgery and I could hoof it there;
For my stress test merely blocks led me to you know where.
And soon my son’s fiancée will begin to work
In a hospital nearby where who knows what may lurk.
Though I reside within a doctor’s choice zip code,
I’d rather walk on by this medics’ mother lode.
Avoiding hospitals requires more than stealth;
I hope my loved ones choose the path that leads to health.
In proximity there are museums I adore;
If I stay away from doctors, I’ll be there much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment