Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Communication

In the pre-computer age,
I kibitzed on the phone;
If someone’s line was busy
Well, their whereabouts were known.

I’d try that number later;
Call-wait beeps did not exist.
No way to leave a message,
Or know phone calls had been missed.

And if the phone kept ringing,
People weren’t home, no doubt.
Without a cell phone folks were
Out of reach when they were out.

Now I “speak” to many friends
In fonts and hues online.
I like communicating thus;
It suits my needs just fine.

I can connect and instantly,
Without a prompt or hint,
I type a bit and magically,
My news is there in print.

Or else I call a cell phone,
Talk to friends who walk or drive.
People out of cell phone range
Think that they can’t survive.

As progress keeps improving,
We are always within reach;
Even on vacation,
We can email from the beach.

But sometimes I long for the days
When we had fewer choices,
And I’d spend hours on the phone:
A tennis match of voices.

And often you would have to wait –
I’d hate that, I’m not lying;
But when you did connect it seemed
So much more gratifying.

Times do change and we’ve improved
Communication’s ways;
But I’m nostalgic for those calls
From pre-computer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment