Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Early Bird

When I’m on my way to the airport
And you don’t want to see me surly,
Be prepared to join me there
Several hours early.

Even in the good old days,
Before those snaking lines,
I would be the “early bird”
The proverb so defines.

I’d rather get there way ahead,
So I’m relaxed and calm;
All those extra minutes
I find soothing, like a balm.

I read or do a crossword;
I catch up on The Times.
I have the opportunity
To draft some brand-new rhymes.

If I’m stuck en route in traffic,
I don’t feel very stressed;
I’ve allotted so much time,
Anxiety’s suppressed.

I’m early everywhere I go,
No matter – night or day.
It’s something I cannot control;
It’s in my DNA.

You’re either born an early bird
Or not – I guess it’s fate;
But if you’re meeting me somewhere,
I hope you aren’t late!

No comments:

Post a Comment