Monday, October 19, 2009

Pledge

I was walking by the river
For my morning exercise,
When a group of bright-clad runners
Jogged on by, a real surprise.

In blazing orange sweatsuits,
With each name upon each back,
They were serious and sweaty;
Not a single one did slack.

Their shaved heads made them newbies,
I thought as they zipped by,
And emblazoned on their chests
Were letters bright: FDNY.

But the one thing that amazed me –
It brought me to the edge –
Was in front of Gracie Mansion’s flag
They stopped and said the pledge.

It’s done in classrooms every day,
But this fine training corps
Somehow made it seem to me
Like it meant so much more.

It’s unexpected treats like these
That make a dull day bright.
Such magic New York sightings
Never cease to bring delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment