Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Feel the Love

On the subway, got a seat;
Want to read in peace.
Some musicians step aboard –
Will wonders never cease?

Not only do they want to play
With drums – are there no laws?
They lecture us ‘cause they expect
Some thunderous applause.

“Clap for us if you enjoy
Our music – ‘feel the love!’
And if you don’t, clap louder!”
How ‘bout – “none of the above!”

I keep my eyes averted,
Read one sentence twenty times;
And when they’re done they roam the car,
Collecting bills and dimes.

And still they chastise those of us
Like me, who don’t react.
I wish I had the nerve to counter
With aplomb and tact.

I did not “feel the love” –
But really, what gives you the right
To barge into my private space
And make me feel uptight?

I’m happy you’re not selling drugs,
As you so proudly stated;
But choosing to disturb the peace
You may be loved or hated.

I hope the next time I’m ensconced
Within a subway car,
Musicians choose to entertain,
But I’m not where they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment