Thursday, October 8, 2009

Crossword

Get the Monday New York Times
And do the puzzle fast!
Feel like you’re a genius –
Enjoy it – it won’t last.

Tuesday’s pretty simple, too;
I often zip right through it.
Wednesday’s takes me twice as long,
But mostly I can do it.

By Thursday, though, all bets are off.
The gauntlet has been thrown;
And though I’m tempted to seek help,
I struggle on alone.

I usually do finish,
But after several tries;
If I claimed total victory,
I would be telling lies.

But Friday, I’m a goner:
More blanks than words complete.
In order to improve the odds,
I’d have to finally cheat.

Some Saturdays I barely write
A word in any space.
Remember Monday’s genius?
Well, there’s hardly any trace.

Ah, but Sunday is a joy!
It teases and it winks.
It tantalizes, as your mind
Discovers all the links.

You slowly make connections;
Rejoice when something fits.
But there’s no celebration
If one prematurely quits.

So on and on you toil;
It’s really made you think.
Then, voila! You have finished –
But in pencil, never ink!

No comments:

Post a Comment