Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Why

When you see a friend or neighbor
Who is looking sick,
You must make a snap decision
And say something quick.

You may comment on appearance,
Which requires tact;
You can’t say, “You’re looking lousy,”
Though that may be fact.

You can ask how things are going
And then take your cues;
‘Cause the ball’s not in your court
To talk about the news.

Or the final choice before you
Is to just ignore it;
Though it’s not quite sympathetic,
I am gung-ho for it.

The alternatives are awkward;
It’s a real hard sell,
Most especially with someone
That you don’t know well.

So I smile and give a greeting,
Then say diddly-squat;
Though my mind is racing,
Thinking what disease she’s got.

Would I be a better neighbor
If I asked what’s wrong?
Or would I be venturing
To where I don’t belong?

My reason to keep quiet
Is I hate to pry,
But life is simpler
When you do not know the why.

No comments:

Post a Comment