Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Jeremy Lin

Chinese people everywhere
Are cheering for the Knicks.
They’re rooting for their favorite fan,
Who’s managed to transfix.

Of course, they want their team to score
But whether lose or win,
They’ll get the thrills they need
By chanting for their own J. Lin.

For Jeremy, a Harvard man,
Is living, breathing proof
A brainy Asian athlete
Isn’t anything to spoof.

I get the Chinese mindset
And I understand their pride;
Since folks like them in sports are few,
Their joy is justified.

It feels familiar, ‘cause I knew
That feeling, oh so rich,
When years ago, I got to see
A fellow landsman pitch.

His name was Sandy Koufax,
His religion one I share;
And every Jewish baseball fan
Of that was well aware.

When you’re in the minority,
It really feels so good
To celebrate a star who comes
From your part of the ‘hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment