Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Church and State

In a speech that hearkens to olden days,
Maybe those of the Roman forum,
These approximate words were uttered by
Republican Rick Santorum:

“I don’t believe in America
Where we separate church and state.”
I wish the Founding Fathers
Could be here to set him straight.

He mentioned a speech made by J.F.K.
Which defended the church-state division,
And claimed he felt “sickened” and could “throw up,”
Reflecting his total derision.

For any American not of his faith
Or with no religion at all,
Those statements should send quite a shiver up spines
And serve as a clarion call.

For where would we be if he got voted in?
Maybe exiled, like Jews were from Spain.
In the U.S. of A., if he’s given his way,
Pious Christians alone would remain.

Though I’m neither a Newt nor a Romney fan
And Ron Paul seems to have not a chance,
I sure hope one of them is successful because
Rick just scares me right out of my pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment