Friday, December 23, 2011

Number 2

When I jot down the words that I
Have forming in my head,
The only tool required is
A pencil filled with lead.

A pen won’t do the trick for me;
A keyboard holds no lure.
It’s only with a number 2
That I feel most secure.

The yellow ones I like the best,
Though I get out of joint
If I’m not near a sharpener
And I’ve worn down the point.

The plastic ones with lead inside
Work well when on the road;
But I prefer the pencils that
One doesn’t have to load.

Of course my pencils must possess
Erasers at the end.
A pencil lacking such a tool
I wouldn’t recommend.

I’m writing this right now to praise
My very best utensil –
And naturally, my fingers grasp
A number 2 lead pencil!

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about something TOTALLY different when I saw the title for this poem. :) Hope you and Mel have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete