Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fa La La La La

I walked into a gifty store
To buy some needed gifts.
Some background music blasted out,
But not the kind that lifts.

Now ‘tis the season, that I know,
So some tunes I’m expecting;
But pretty soon I realized
Every song I was rejecting.

I don’t mind Christmas carols
Filled with Santa and his deer;
And “Jingle Bells” or “Sleigh Bells Ring”
Exude real Yuletide cheer.

I’d never veto “Chestnuts Roasting,”
“Deck the Halls” or “Frosty;”
I know the lyrics to them all,
Each dotted “i” and crossed “t.”

But those were not the songs I heard
While I was on my search;
The Jesus hymns on speakers
Were more suited to a church.

In New York City’s melting pot,
No faith should be dismissed;
And tolerance is needed
So that we can coexist.

Religious songs do not belong
In stores or in a mall.
Let’s celebrate diversity
With music meant for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment