Sunday, December 25, 2011

Holiday Music

Spent two hours in the car;
The radio was blasting.
Christmas music was what every
Station was broadcasting.

Some arrangements seemed so old,
The singers must be dead.
All the lyrics, though, are stored
Forever in my head.

There were favorite singers, too –
Bruce Springsteen and John Lennon.
Most were non-religious tunes –
No praisin’ or amenin’.

So we sang along as Santa
Made his jolly way to town.
We belted out the words
And memory never let us down.

With Deck the Halls and Frosty,
Rudolph, Sleigh Bells and the like,
We harmonized as traffic
Zipped around us on the pike.

Though this is not my holiday,
I joined in every song.
Enjoying others’ music surely
Helps us get along.

But once at home, as darkness fell,
I stopped my Christmas croon.
My candles waited to be lit
To quite a different tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment