Thursday, November 4, 2010

Having Time

Having time’s a precious thing
And really, one should use it.
We can’t know what lies ahead
And someday, we could lose it.

For some, it’s extra hours
Just to sleep or lie in bed.
Others paint or cook or knit
Or exercise instead.

If you are not hemmed in by work
Or family obligations,
The minutes stretch out, beckoning
To all your inclinations.

These well-earned moments let me read
Two novels at a time!
The crossword waits for me each day
As does my daily rhyme.

I gobble up The New York Times
And several magazines.
I walk for exercise
And am ensconced in my routines.

I take some crafting classes
And I email without fail.
I get to take advantage
When I see a special sale.

I travel sometimes – not enough,
But more than years before;
Yet when I’m home, I’m happy
As my key unlocks the door.

I worked for many years and now
I’m reaping the reward.
I have the time to fill my way,
And I am never bored.

1 comment: