Monday, November 8, 2010

Fifteen Minutes

Today I’m in The New York Times!
I’m really so excited.
It isn’t every day that my
Submissions are invited.

I emailed people that I know
So they can check it out;
And then I wondered if it was
Obnoxious to so shout.

I’m proud, of course, but must admit
I’m saying – Look at me!
Perhaps I should have let them
Spot it accidentally.

I wonder ‘bout those writers
With books on a Borders shelf.
Do they feel tempted to announce,
“I wrote that book myself!”

Would they grab would-be customers,
Point to each stacked-up spine,
And gleefully declare aloud,
“You know – that book is mine!”

They’d probably just stand and gaze
And share a little smile.
That’s the classy way to go,
A published author’s style.

But since I’m still an amateur,
I guess that I can crow –
My poem is in The Times!
If you don’t have your copy – go!

No comments:

Post a Comment