Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Humbug

Thanksgiving’s over, ‘tis the season;
Jolly doesn’t cut it.
If you’re joyful, for each reason
I will so rebut it.

Hate the crowds in every store,
Despise required gifts;
Christmas music I abhor –
My spirit never lifts.

Catalogues attack in droves;
E-mails keep repeating.
Baked goods reek of mace and cloves;
Stores’ decors competing.

Ho Ho Ho’s get on my nerves;
Elves are not appealing.
Often one thinks he deserves
More than his gift’s revealing.

TV specials clog the air:
“A Wonderful Life” again?
Announce these feelings if you dare
And see what happens then.

Folks will furtively agree,
But with an asterisk.
If you push them, guarantee
You’re taking quite a risk.

For even though most do complain:
“There’s so much left to do!”
They overwhelmingly retain
That Santa point of view.

It’s hard to argue with a trend;
We’ve learned Scrooge is a villain.
I’m sure that some I will offend
With this humbug I’m spillin’.

Yet others might concur, I hope;
If so, please stand and shout it.
We’ve just a month left – can we cope?
At times, I really doubt it.

But never fear, the days will fly;
The madness will be stopping.
We’ll have a year to fortify
Before next Christmas shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment