Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Grown-Up

I met my son for lunch today.
He paid; it was his treat.
I didn’t order very much,
But it was still so sweet.

You never really think of this
When kids are young and clinging,
That someday roles will be reversed
And for the check, they’re springing.

Their babyhood went much too fast,
Their childhood took a minute;
And suddenly their lives are theirs
And you’re glad if you’re in it.

So to young parents, heed my words
And savor every part
Of your child’s progress through the years
And seal it in your heart.

For way before you’re ready to
Acknowledge they are grown,
Your children have flown from the nest
And you are all alone.

I know that it’s supposed to be
Exactly as I’ve written;
But as a mother, you’ll remain
Forever proud and smitten.

I hope one day that every mom
Can feel her job complete
When having lunch with her grown son,
In every way a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment