Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

Years ago on Turkey Day
My father, in a snit,
Let traffic get the best of him,
Announcing, “This is it!”

He turned the car ‘round in a huff;
My mom’s pleas were rejected.
My aunt had planned a massive feast
At which we were expected.

To soothe our wounds my dad declared,
“We’ll go out for Chinese!”
Our sullen silence shouted “No!”
To lobster Cantonese.

Yet there we were Thanksgiving Day
With shrimp in lobster sauce,
My father trying to pretend
He showed us who was boss.

But though he tried to cheer us up
We were a gloomy group;
We dreamed of sweet potato pie
While slurping wonton soup.

I often think back to that day –
Though we were so downcast,
We were together, and who knew
That magic wouldn’t last?

My parents are long gone
Yet every year in late November,
That Thanksgiving eating Chinese food’s
The one that I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment