Friday, November 6, 2009

Parade

Our World Series heroes need
To hear a constant accolade,
But even more, they have to have
A New York ticker tape parade.

Watching it on my TV,
(Should have gone, but hate the crowd)
It was awesome seeing fans
Standing patiently and proud.

In the limo, leading off,
Yogi waved, absorbing cheers;
Politicians claimed their spots
As a perk of their careers.

Bloomberg, Paterson, and Koch,
Giuliani, too, of course;
Joe Girardi rode with Mike,
A few days too late to endorse.

Michael Kay rode by himself,
Followed by some AM voices:
John Sterling and Susan,
The announcers who would be my choices.

In the floats, a thrill to see
Johnny Damon and Teixeira;
Hope they stick around to have
Careers like that of Yogi Berra.

Here is A-Rod with Jay-Z,
Swisher, C.C. and Burnett;
Even Reggie Jackson came:
He remains a hero yet.

Matsui and Cano float by,
Melky, Jorge and Marte,
But the crowd goes really nuts
When Derek Jeter’s on display.

Down the canyon, now I see
Joba C. and Andy Pettitte;
Mariano, without whom
The Yankees might as well forget it.

As the floats reach City Hall,
The time has come for me to end.
I hope I am forgiven by
Those I’ve omitted as I penned.

Our Yankee heroes do deserve
This joyous upbeat atmosphere;
We’ll soak it up to last us ‘til
We celebrate again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment