Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Reflection

Some days I check the mirror
And think I’m looking good,
But other times I cringe and know
I don’t look like I should.

It could just be the haircut,
Or maybe lack of sleep;
Stress does surely take its toll,
And aging wrinkles creep.

But often there’s no reason,
A mystery with no clue.
I just think I look awful;
There’s nothing I can do.

Even if I try to dress
In something new and snazzy,
Or wear funky earrings
To make me feel cool and jazzy,

Usually it’s useless;
Not a single thing will work.
Some impish nasty spirit
Has invaded, with a smirk.

I’m sure that other people
May experience the same.
I don’t think my neurosis
Is entirely to blame.

Yet beauty on the surface
May unpleasantness conceal.
What we feel inside
Affects the face that we reveal.

So if you check the mirror
And all is not okay,
Suck it up and smile
And go out to face the day.

1 comment:

  1. i'll keep this in mind next time i look in the mirror and don't recognize myself!

    ReplyDelete