Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday

Shop ‘til you drop – today’s Black Friday!
Hurry and run – it’s do or die day.
Thousands of purchasers will stampede
To buy things their families do not need.
Bargains abound – the prices slashed;
Shoppers attack – merchandise gets trashed.
Sales signs are plastered in every store:
Open at dawn – we have stuff galore.
This year security will be ample;
Hopefully nobody will get trampled.
Throngs of consumers, all shapes and sizes,
Will boast of their savings, their discount prizes.
I marvel at all of this, and concede
That I feel a little like Margaret Mead.
Watching the hordes do their tribal dance
I wonder if this represents “advance.”
Good luck if you’re part of this strange syndrome –
I may miss the bargains, but I’ll stay home.

1 comment:

  1. Great poetry Ilene!! You really crank them out!!My cousins are enjoying them too. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. Nancy Langer

    ReplyDelete