Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Talent

Is talent something we all have
Or is it more exclusive?
Sometimes gifts are obvious,
At other times, elusive.

Having an artistic bent,
To paint or draw or sketch,
Is something that I don’t possess,
Not by the longest stretch.

Many folks play instruments
And others can compose;
My musical ability
Has fewer highs than lows.

In beading class I watch
As others finish each design;
I struggle and I note that theirs
All look great next to mine.

In quilting, too, I marvel at
Each quilter’s magic flair,
And though I’m proud of what I’ve done,
My work can’t quite compare.

Some people take fine pictures
Or have cool computer skills;
Athletes run or skate or ski,
Avoiding clumsy spills.

Chefs in restaurants or homes
Have culinary knacks;
Businessmen and fundraisers
Have honorary plaques.

Many people are adroit
At nurturing or teaching;
Others leave us spellbound
With performing or with preaching.

Maybe others can’t detect
What talents we have hidden.
Doubting all your aptitude
Should strictly be forbidden.

Dig inside yourself – discover
Some untapped forte;
Nurture it and someday
You can put it on display.

It may take years and years until
You gather up your nerve,
But take the stage and soak up
The applause that you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment